European Cooperation Projects 2021
Strand or category
Small Scale Cooperation Projects
Cultural operator – who are you?
Name of organisation
Organisation website www.terrachidia.es
Carmen Moreno, +34 679995950, [email protected]
Scale of the organization
Aims and activities of the organisation
Terrachidia is an NGO specialized in Cultural Heritage Preservation which in the following aims:
- Restoration and promotion of architectural and cultural heritage as local development tool.
- Raising awareness and working for the preservation of intangible heritage.
- Training and awareness raising in traditional architecture and construction as an effective strategy in the care and preservation of both local heritage and landscape and the environment in general. And moving so towards a local-based and culture-based sustainability.
Terrachidia works in these fields through multiple works developed in Spain, Morocco and Mauritania since 2012 in collaboration with public and privates entities. The singular methodology developed for most of those works combines preservation of intangible heritage, restoration of architectural heritage, contribution to local development, and training in these fields.
This social working model makes local populations sensitive to the relevance of protecting their traditional knowledge, their architectural and landscape heritage and highlights some of the development opportunities the preservation of this richness entails.
The methodology of Terrachidia has produced the following outcomes since 2012:
- 15 historic buildings have been restored within the framework of the aforementioned programs, as the Project of the restoration in the historic libraries in Chinguetti, Mauritania, listed as World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- More than 400 people from over 25 different nationalities have, to date, participated in the traditional architecture and construction programs of Terrachidia.
- More than 50 construction masters have been hired participating in the restoration works carried out. With them, they have had the opportunity to train a similar number of young apprentices in the work itself, also hired for this purpose.
- Two guides has been published to promote the heritage in Morocco and Mauritania in order to reach a more responsible and culturally aware kind of tourism.
Role of the organisation in the project
project partner, we cannot assume the role of project leaders
Proposed Creative Europe project – to which project are you looking for partners?
Sector or field
Description or summary of the proposed project
The Project aims to deepen and reveal the links between our ancestors and European cultural identities.
Establish study strategies and development opportunities for European regions that are suffering the same abandonment problem as many geographic areas from Spain.
Partners currently involved in the project
We seek to establish contact with national and international partners to develop a project to recover the local memory of places threatened by depopulation.
Partners searched – which type of partner are you looking for?
Preferred field of expertise
cultural heritage, heritage interpretation, cultural tourism, sustainability, community building , rural development
Projects searched – are you interested in participating in other EU projects as a partner?
Which kind of projects are you looking for?
We are looking for projects covering the field of cultural heritage, heritage interpretation, cultural tourism, sustainability, community building , rural development